Maxine L. Silva Health Magnet High School
Greetings and thank you for visiting us! You have made the right choice in selecting Silva Health Magnet as your high school. Silva Health Magnet was established in 1994 and is locally and nationally recognized as an academic campus integrated with an innovative and evidence-based healthcare curriculum. Silva continues to lead El Paso as an exemplary campus with an A rating from the Texas Education Agency (TEA). Silva’s achievements include recognition as a three-time National Blue-Ribbon school (2007, 2011, AND 2017), a 100% four-year graduation rate, and 100% passing rate on STAAR EOC exams. Silva consistently maintains 7 of 7 achievement distinctions from TEA. Silva students graduate with a Public Service and STEM endorsement and are required to take 4 years of Health Science Technology (HST) courses and 5 years of Science or Math to meet this requirement. In addition to our academic excellence, Silva offers extracurricular activities, leadership development, and extensive service-learning opportunities.
Our campus is adjacent to the Medical Center of the Americas, which encompasses University Medical Center, El Paso Children’s Hospital, and Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center. Silva Health Magnet is founded on service learning and partnerships with key stakeholders within our community. Classrooms function as active learning environments where students demonstrate the art of caring for others and learn the intricacies of the healthcare system. Prior to entering a hospital or clinical setting, students experience health related scenarios in our innovative health science labs. All HST courses are taught by Licensed Healthcare professionals who have worked in their respective fields. Students engage in real life experiences as they serve our El Paso community through clinical practicums at area hospitals and various healthcare facilities. Silva offers all students the opportunity to earn college credit through Advanced Placement, UT OnRamps, and Dual Credit classes. Accelerated courses are offered in all core areas as well as the Health Sciences. Silva’s accelerated RN Bridge Program with Texas Tech’s Gayle Greve Hunt School of Nursing provides students with the opportunity to enter the School of Nursing immediately upon graduation. Students in the RN Bridge program can obtain a Bachelor of Science in Nursing within 2 years.
CTE Programs of Study
Our Career and Technical Education (CTE) Programs of Study include a healthcare focus with an Industry Based Certification:
- Exercise Science and Wellness (NASM Certified Personal Trainer, Dual Credit Physical Therapy Technician and Healthcare Practicum)
- Health Informatics (Certified Medical Billing and Coding and Healthcare Practicum)
- Healthcare Diagnostics (Practicums include: Physician/Healthcare Professional, Dental, Community Health, Rehab Sciences, Hospital, and Clinical)
- Healthcare Therapeutic (Certified Pharmacy Technician, Sterile Products and IV Certification, Certified Nurse Aide, and Healthcare Practicum)
- Medical Therapy (Dual Credit Physical Therapy Technician/Rehab Sciences Practicum)
- Nursing Science (Dual Credit Licensed Vocational Nursing, Certified Nurse Aide, Certified Medical Assistant, RN Accelerated BSN bridge program, and Nursing Practicum)
- Biomedical Science (Scientific Research and Design, Practicum in STEM)
- Other Industry Based Certifications offered via CCTE campus: (Veterinary Technician, Emergency Medical Technician, and Registered Dental Assistant)
- Silva Health Magnet is an open enrollment manget campus
- Any student in the El Paso area may apply for admission - click here for admission requirements
Bus transportation is provided free of charge. We have drop off locations in East, West, Central and Northeast El Paso.
Dr. Darren Cole, Guidance & Instruction
Brittany Abery Baker
Denise Galvez, MSN, RN
Main Line 915-236-7600
Maxine Silva Health Magnet HS
121 Val Verde St.
El Paso, TX 79905
Silver & Scarlet