The SHAC has a variety of roles addressing all components of a comprehensive school health program. The components include:
- Health instruction
- Healthful school environment
- Health services
- Physical education
- School counseling
- Health promotion for staff
- Integrated school and community programs
The local school health advisory council’s duties include recommending:
- The number of hours of instruction to be provided in health education
- Health education curriculum appropriate for specific grade levels that may include a coordinated health education program designed to prevent obesity, cardiovascular disease, and Type II diabetes
- Instruction to prevent the use of tobacco
- Appropriate grade levels and methods of instruction for human sexuality education.
Last year’s focus was approving a strategic plan for health and physical education and approving a six-week comprehensive health education program for the middle school.
This year’s focus will be to create an effective local school wellness policy which is a requirement of the 2004 Child Nutrition Reauthorization Act and to establish bylaws which comply with State law.