Center for Career and Technology Education
The Center for Career and Technology Education (CCTE) is an EPISD school with high school juniors and seniors attending from throughout the region. Our campus features 26 Programs of Study leading to Career and Technical Education Endorsements and Certifications; Seven of these programs are dual credit with El Paso Community College (EPCC). All programs offer State or National industry-recognized certifications and credentials upon completion of the two-year program.
The El Paso Independent School District’s Vocational School was one of the first of its kind, and it was the first magnet school in the EPISD. The school originally opened its doors in 1917. In the early 1930’s, El Paso Vocational School moved to a four-story red brick building located on El Paso Street, which is now south of Interstate 10.
In the early 1940’s the school moved to a new building a few miles west of the current site in downtown El Paso on Rio Grande Street, the current location of the El Paso Community College’s Rio Grande Campus.
El Paso Vocational School quickly outgrew its site downtown and in 1956, the El Paso ISD opened the doors to Technical High School, a new magnet campus at 2200 Arizona, the current site of Armendariz Middle School. To become a full, comprehensive vocational high school, the new school included athletic and music facilities, academic classrooms, and additional vocational programs. The shops that were built in the rear of the high school are still used today for some of the Center for Career and Technology Education’s programs.
El Paso Technical High School excelled in both athletics and academics. In 1958, the school tied for district in basketball; in the years 1959 – 1964, it dominated cross country and track and field; in 1963, El Paso Tech was the city champion in football; during the years 1957 – 1962, it was the top math school in the state; Tech was also the first school to have a wrestling team.
In 1970, El Paso Technical High School changed from a comprehensive high school to a district-wide vocational school with half-day programs. The students who attended one of the existing EPISD and surrounding area high schools were transported from their home schools for three hours of instruction. In 1974, the academic classrooms were transformed into office space for central office, library services, fine arts and evening school.
In 1995, a new three-story building was built and the name was changed from El Paso Technical Center to The Center for Career and Technology Education (CCTE). There are currently 26 programs, seven of which offer dual credit with the El Paso Community College, as well as 26 of the programs offering state or national certifications or licensures.
Many of the classes participate with the business community, in non-paid internship programs and community service projects. Career and Technical Student Organizations (CTSO) offer leadership and competitive opportunities to members at the district, regional, state, and national levels. These organizations include DECA, HOSA, and SkillsUSA.
Eighty-five percent of the graduates matriculate to some form of post-secondary education.
1170 N. Walnut St.
El Paso, TX 79930
11th - 12th Grade
Teal, Black and Silver