Zavala Elementary School opened its doors in 1925, and has been educating the students of south-central El Paso for nearly 90 years. Since its founding, Zavala has grown from a school with eight classrooms to a campus with over 20 classrooms, a cafeteria with a theater stage, computer labs, multi-purpose center and playground, library, and science labs, with 45 dedicated faculty and staff members meeting the educational needs of nearly 300 students.
Located only a stone's throw from the Bridge of the Americas that connects El Paso to Ciudad Juarez, Zavala has a proud tradition of educating largely bilingual and bicultural students. The faculty and staff of Zavala strive to provide high quality instruction and educational opportunities for all Zavala students. Activities such as the science fair, spelling bee, field trips, and community school festivals and events contribute to students’ personal and academic growth.
Zavala Elementary School is named for General Lorenzo de Zavala, who was born on October 3, 1788 in Tecoh, Yucatan in Mexico. In the 1830s, Zavala became involved in the Texas fight for independence from Mexico and befriended Stephen F. Austin. In 1836, Lorenzo de Zavala became the first Vice President of the Republic of Texas. He was a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence and an author of the Constitution of the Republic of Texas. He died on November 15, 1836 and is buried in Channelview, Texas.
Main Line 915 236 0550
Fax 915 542 1760
Cafeteria 915 542 0940
51 N. Hammett St.
El Paso, Texas 79905
Maroon and Gold