Our School

  • The history of Thomas Jefferson High in El Paso, Texas started before World War II when citizens in the vicinity of Burleson Elementary began to talk about the need for a secondary school. Little was done until after the war. In 1946, the educational facilities in El Paso were overcrowded. Spatial limitations were particularly evident at Bowie High School, El Paso High School, and Austin High School. These three establishments offered secondary education to students throughout the entire city. Many meetings and petitions led to the board’s decision to construct a new high school on the grounds of Burleson Elementary, 4700 Alameda Avenue, and surrounding property, which amounts to nearly seven and one-half acres. J.M. Whitaker was appointed principal of both Burleson Elementary School and Burleson High School. With the school board’s approval in 1948, Mr. Whitaker and the Parent Teacher Association decided to name the high school after Thomas Jefferson. In the process of ordering football and band uniforms, Mr. Whitaker and the Parent Teacher Association chose silver and scarlet as the school’s colors. On September 6, 1949, the school opened its doors to hundreds of students for the very first time. Many traditional activities were started in the initial years; the selection of a ROTC queen, the annual ball, a senior prom, the awarding of “J” sweaters, and other activities have become customary. With each passing year, Jefferson High School reminds us, “Once a Fox-Always a Fox.”

Jefferson High School
  • Thomas Jefferson High School


  • School Info

    Address
    4700 Alameda 
    El Paso, TX  79905

    Grades
    9th-12th Grade

    Mascot
    Silver Fox

    School Colors
    Silver & Scarlet