What you can do to get ready for college as a high school freshman:
- Remember that everything starts to “count” beginning freshman year.
- Make as high of a grade as possible in all your classes – the higher your grades, the higher your rank. Colleges are looking for students who are in the top half of their class – aim to be there!
- Take the most challenging course work possible.
- Join school activities!! Colleges look for well rounded, committed individuals who show some leadership skills!
- Volunteer!! Community service is becoming more and more important in the college admissions process.
- Begin keeping a list of school activities, honors, awards, employment, volunteer work, community activities, etc.
- READ, READ,READ! It’s a great way to increase your SAT/ACT scores.
- Monitor your child’s academic progress. Make sure you see all 3 week and 6 week reports. Do not assume someone will call you if there is a problem. Provide encouragement and support.
- Encourage your son or daughter to become involved in a wide variety of activities. Volunteer work and community service are important. Keep a list of activities –including dates.
- Help your son or daughter plan meaningful summer activities. Make plans for your child to take a class, play organized sports, develop a hobby, work, volunteer, etc.
- Save, save, save!!