Thank you for your interest in EPISD. We are currently not hiring substitute teachers, please continue to check this site for updates.
- New and Former substitute applicants must attend the Substitute Teacher Job Fair - MANDATORY REQUIREMENT (Info provided under Links Section)
- OFFICIAL transcripts from an accredited college or university must be on file prior to hire. Transcript must indicate a Bachelor Degree or higher with date conferred.
- Letter of completion will NOT suffice.
- Three references.
- Have his/her own transportation.
- Must reside in the United States.
- Speak, read and write English.
B. Retired Teachers - Employment After Retirement
Service Retirees - Beginning one month (two months for a person who retired May 31 but worked no later than June 15) after the retirement date, retirees may work in a Texas public school without affecting their annuity:
-- As a substitute at no more than the employer's daily substitute pay rate for an unlimited number of days during a school year.
-- On a one half-time or less basis during any month, or
-- Beginning in the school year after the retirement date (for example, October for August retirement), retirees may work in lieu of all other Texas public school employment on as much a full-time basis for six months during a school year (September 1 through August 31).
For the purposes of employment after retirement, the definition of a school year is September 1 - August 31. One-month separation from service before employment in public education is also required of a person retiring from ERS who used TRS service transferred at retirement or benefit calculations.
Disability Retirees - Beginning one month (two months for a person who retired May 31 but worked no later than June 15) after the retirement date, a disability retiree may work in a Texas public school for no more than 90 days during a school year:
-- As a substitute at no more than the employer's daily substitute pay rate, or
-- In a position other than substitute at no more than a one-half time basis.
C. Texas Teaching Certificates
Applicants who hold a valid Texas Teaching Certificate are required to file their certificates with Human Resources. Approval of Texas Education Agency is to be obtained by the Human Resources Department for all applicants not holding a valid Texas Certificate.
Substitute teachers with a valid Texas teaching certificate will be paid the "Certified Teacher" rate only if the following conditions are met:
- The position is a vacancy or long-term status, and
- The substitute is certified in the discipline of the vacancy.
- Fingerprinting Process for Certified Substitutes
- Fingerprinting Process for Non-certified Substitutes
Substitute Employment Application
Click here to access the online application for Substitute Employees.