• Immunization Requirements

    Immunization Requirements Registration

    Students enrolled in the El Paso Independent District must submit proof of immunization validated by a physician or public health personnel. The law requires that a student be fully vaccinated against the specified diseases. Immunization records need to be in English.


    The law requires that students be fully vaccinated against specific diseases. A student may be enrolled provisionally if the student has an immunization record that indicates the student has received at least one dose of each specified age-appropriate vaccine required by this rule. To remain enrolled, the student must complete the required subsequent doses in each vaccine series on schedule and as rapidly as is medically feasible and provide acceptable evidence of vaccination to the school. A school nurse or school administrator shall review the immunization status of a provisionally enrolled student every 30 days to ensure continued compliance in completing the required doses of vaccination. If, at the end of the 30-day period, a student has not received a subsequent dose of vaccine, the student is not in compliance and the school shall exclude the student from school attendance until the required dose is administered. A dependent of a person who is on active duty with the armed forces of the United States can be enrolled provisionally for no more than 30days if he/she transfers from one school to another and is awaiting the transfer of the immunization record. For a series of immunizations, initial vaccinations must be obtained within thirty (30) days or within such time as is reasonably determined under the rules promulgated by the Interstate Commission.


    For a student needing medical exceptions, a written statement by the physician should be submitted to the school. The law allows a physician to write a statement that the vaccine(s) required would be medically harmful or injurious to the health and well-being of the student. The law also allows the parent/guardian to choose an exemption from immunization requirements for reasons of conscience, including a religious belief. The law does not allow a parent/guardian to elect an exemption simply because of inconvenience (a record is lost or incomplete and it is too much trouble to go to a physician or clinic to correct the problem). Instructions for the affidavit to be signed by parents/guardians can be found at www.ImmunizeTexas.com.


    Failure to meet this requirement will result in a suspension until proof of immunization is presented. It will be counted as an unexcused absence. The campus may report the parent and the student to Child Protective Services if they fail to meet the immunization requirement.


    Medications need to be in their original container, properly labeled and prescribed by a physician licensed to practice in the State of Texas. Medications from Mexico will not be administered. Students can not carry medications or self-administer medications on campus unless authorized by Texas Codes and ordered by a licensed practitioner. Students need parent permission and a written order from a licensed practitioner to carry Inhalers, Epipens and/or Insulin Pumps. In the event that there is not a written order for medication, the parent/guardian and physician need to complete the medical instruction form and submit the form to the school nurse.