Human Sexuality Instruction
Education Code 28.004(c)
CONTENT OF HUMAN SEXUALITY INSTRUCTION The Board shall select any instruction relating to human sexuality, sexually transmitted diseases, or human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) or acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) with the advice of the local school health advisory council. The instruction must:
- Present abstinence as the preferred choice of behavior for unmarried persons of school age;
- Devote more attention to abstinence than to any other behavior;
- Emphasize that abstinence is the only method that is 100 percent effective in preventing pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases, infection with HIV or AIDS, and the emotional trauma associated with adolescent sexual activity;
- Direct adolescents to a standard of behavior in which abstinence before marriage is the most effective way to prevent pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases, and infection with HIV or AIDS; and
- Teach contraception and condom use in terms of human use reality rates instead of theoretical laboratory rates, if instruction on contraception and condoms is included in the curriculum.
Education Code 28.004(e)
The District may not distribute condoms in connection with instruction relating to human sexuality.
Education Code 28.004(f)
If the District provides human sexuality instruction, it may separate students according to sex for instructional purposes.
Education Code 28.004(g)
[See FBA regarding single-sex classes under Title IX]
NOTICE TO PARENTS
The District shall notify a parent of each student enrolled in the District of the basic content of the District's human sexuality instruction to be provided to the student and of the parent's right to remove the student from any part of that instruction.
Education Code 28.004(i)
AVAILABILITY OF MATERIALS
The District shall make all curriculum materials used in human sexuality instruction available for reasonable public inspection.
Education Code 28.004(j)
[See EFAA (Legal) regarding selection of curriculum materials for human sexuality instruction.]