Founded in 1961, Park Elementary was named after a local city politician Edgar Park (1887-1955). Mr. Park was considered a thinker who was ahead of his time. According to author Frank Mangan, Mr. Park made use of the local terrain and the mountain was not bulldozed to make rooms for the subdivision or the school; the streets and buildings were designed to fit the mountains. Natural desert vegetation was used in the landscaping. Mountain Park was the first major subdivision in the Southwest to put electric and telephone utility wires underground.