It’s time once again to recognize the outstanding efforts of our talented and hard-working teachers. We are now accepting campus nominations for the 2018-19 Teachers of the Year. Each campus will select ONLY ONE winner. Campus winners must be full-time certified employees. Classroom teachers traditionally are nominated. Librarians and counselors who teach at least four hours a day are also eligible. Administrators are not eligible, according to state and national guidelines.
Use a democratic process to select your campus nominee. Here are some suggestions:
- Seek nominations from faculty and staff. Narrow the candidates to three finalists and select a winner by a vote from all staff.
- Create a committee to interview the top candidates. You might consider using your CIT, Employee of the Month or a committee involving parents, teachers and staff, maybe students. If you prefer, you can have your committee select a winner by asking finalists to complete an essay or answer interview questions in written form. Below are some possible questions for your finalists:
- What experiences, people or events inspired you to become a teacher?
- Describe your significant contributions and accomplishments in education.
- How important is the role of a teacher today?
- Alternatively, you might ask administrators and/or department heads to nominate candidates, and then narrow it down to the top 10 finalists with the top teacher selected by a vote from all staff.
Included on this page is a data sheet for your campus Teacher of the Year to fill out online. They will be required to also complete an essay and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org by WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 13.
The following is an outline of the selection process which mirrors that of the Texas Teacher of the Year Program:
- You will share the webpage with your nominee in order to complete the datasheet and essay online.
- Your nominee will be required to compose an 800-word essay, double spaced and at least a 10 pt. font. The datasheet should be completed via the website and the essay should be emailed to email@example.com by WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 13.
- The essay must incorporate the following:
- Describe your personal feelings and beliefs about teaching, including your own ideas of what makes you an outstanding teacher. Describe the rewards you find in teaching.
- How are your beliefs about teaching demonstrated in your personal teaching style?
- How do you incorporate innovation and student engagement in day-to-day instruction?
- The panel of judges will review all of the submissions and make their selection of finalists.
- Only finalists will be required to go through an interview. The finalists will be notified of their date and time for their interview.
- All other campus nominees will be notified of the date and time for their photograph only.
- The interview process will take place April 3 and 4 at the Education Center on Boeing.
- The winners, along with all the other campus nominees, will be named at the Teacher of the Year Celebration on April 26 at the Centennial Conference & Banquet Center.
If you have any questions, call Sonia Villa 230-2570. Thank you and good luck