2019-20 Classroom Impact Grants Guidelines
Applications and grant writing instructions are available online at foundation.episd.org.
- All applications must be reviewed and signed by the principal.
- Online applications are due by 5 p.m. June 17.
- Applications will be reviewed by the Grant Application Review Committee made up of:
- EPISD Education Foundation Board Members
- Community Members and EPISDEF Donors
- Final approval is made by the EPISD Education Foundation Board of Directors.
The El Paso Independent School District Education Foundation is offering teachers the opportunity to apply for Classroom Impact Grants that support innovative programs or projects. The grants must enhance student academic performance and support the objectives, goals, and initiatives of the Campus Improvement Plan.
Persons Eligible to Apply for Grants
Any EPISD classroom teacher, team of teachers or other employees on the teacher salary schedule may apply.
Grants are to be implemented during the 2019-20 school year. They are to encourage, facilitate, recognize and reward innovative and creative instructional approaches that stimulate active learning experiences for student creativity by enhancing, extending and enriching the existing curriculum.
Active Learning refers to instruction that is student centered, engaging, hands-on, and relevant to students. Active learning allows students the opportunity to experience aligned/targeted lessons that can be cross-disciplinary, connected to real world events, and address the various learning styles and abilities of students. Although technology integration is also considered active learning it should be embedded when appropriate and directed by students. During active learning lessons the teacher’s role is of a facilitator guiding their students while allowing students opportunities to be creative.
Award of Funds
Grants are awarded up to $1,000. The number of awards will depend on funds available from EPISDEF. Applications will be reviewed on a competitive basis. Campuses may be limited to the number of grants they may be awarded; grants may be partially funded. Grants will be awarded in the fall semester.
When applying for a grant, please remember the following:
- Application must be submitted online.
- Objectives and outcomes should be consistent with the goals of your school and EPISD.
- Make sure to include shipping and handling charges and installation costs if applicable.
- Grants cannot be used to fund teacher training or travel.
- When creating your budget, research carefully and be realistic. Small grants are just as likely to be awarded as large ones. Partial funding will be considered.
- Projects awarded must be fully implemented and funds must be expended by the end of the 2019-20 academic year. Evaluation report must be submitted to EPISDEF before recipients may apply for another grant.
- All items, particularly equipment, requested in the Classroom Impact Grant must be an integral part of the proposed project and become property of EPISD.
- Collaborative projects among teachers are encouraged. If a teacher’s position or school changes, the Classroom Impact Grant is subject to review by the EPISDEF. It is the responsibility of the grant leader to advise EPISDEF in writing immediately of such changes.
- Use the funds for the purposes intended.
Tips for a Successful Application
Statement of Need:
- Describe the area of student achievement you wish to address and give any data that supports the need. Please include how this grant addresses district and campus goals.
- Keep the statement simple and straightforward.
- Limit the number of objectives.
- State evaluation in the statement of objectives.
- Be specific.
- Describe the problem or issue addressed.
- Show how the project supports the purpose.
- List steps to be followed in project implementation.
- Relate project to need and objectives.
- Relate to stated objectives.
- Indicate how you will know whether the project was successful.
- Should be clear, detailed and realistic.
- Include shipping and handling
- Make sure your math is corrected.