(EL PASO INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT -- Aug. 24, 2020) — Families who want a more familiar learning space for their children at home may buy a student desk at a deeply-discounted price during the El Paso Independent School District desk surplus sale on Saturday.
Desks no longer deemed needed by the District will be on sale for $3 each to families and the general public. Each household is limited to five desks.
The student desk surplus sale will start at 7 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 29, at the former Alta Vista school site, 1000 N. Grama St. The sale will end when all desks are sold.
The District on Friday increased the number of desks available for sale to 600. EPISD also announced the following guidelines for the sale:
- Sales will be cash only and exact change is needed in order to minimize contact. All sales are final.
- Sale will be curbside. Cars will line along La Luz Avenue and will exit through Copia Street. No exit to Montana Avenue will be allowed. (map above)
- Face masks are required during the transaction.
- No pedestrian sales. Buyers must haul the desks immediately after purchase.
- EPISD staff will place desks on vehicle but buyer is responsible for securing them properly. Buyers should bring ropes and straps.
EPISD cannot give away the desks to families because of state laws prohibiting the gift of public funds. However, the District is making them available at a nominal fee in order to meet the needs of students during virtual learning.