(EL PASO, Texas – Feb. 3, 2023) – U.S. Rep. Veronica Escobar, D-Texas, a member of the House Armed Services Committee, recently announced that eight El Paso ISD seniors were among her nominees to the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland, and the U.S. Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
To be considered for an appointment to a service academy, applicants must be nominated by an authorized nominating source, which includes members of Congress.
“Each year, I have the privilege to nominate remarkable El Pasoans to our nation’s service academies, and this group is outstanding,” Escobar said. “Receiving a nomination and attending a service academy is an incredible honor and path of commitment. I cannot wait to see each of these nominees continue their journey in service of our country.”
As part of the nomination process, the nominees were evaluated by a panel on their academic record, test scores, leadership ability, extracurricular activities, and desire to serve their country.
The full list of El Paso ISD nominees are:
United States Naval Academy – Annapolis
• Duncan Elias – Andress High School
• Isabelle Cortez – Silva Magnet Health High School
• William Pirk – Franklin High School
• Andrea Velazquez – El Paso High School
United States Air Force Academy – Colorado Springs
• Devin Wehmhoner – Franklin High School
• Anthony Barrera – Andress High School
• Samahri Foster – Chapin High School
• Angelo Rivera – Franklin High School
More information on the U.S. Service Academy nominations can be found here.