Taking the PSAT tomorrow? Here are some helpful tips!
(EL PASO INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT -- Jan. 25, 2021) — Tomorrow is PSAT Day in EPISD for sophomores and juniors. Time to put all that study time and practice tests to work. Here are some tips from Khan Academy to help you do your best.
- Relax – Don’t study for more than an hour on the day. Your brain needs to rest.
- Avoid screen time – You’ll need to shut down bright screens to ensure for a good night’s sleep.
- Have a healthy dinner – Drink lots of water and load up on complex carbohydrates as well as protein.
- Make a plan to get to the testing site. Know exactly where you’re taking the test prior to arriving.
- Wake up early and eat a healthy breakfast.
- If you drink coffee or tea, stick to your routine. Don’t drink a caffeinated beverage if you don’t have one every day.
- Get to the test site early.
- Stay clear of nervous people at the test site. You don’t want nervous energy rubbing off on you.
Test strategies for the math test:
- Underline key parts of the problem
- Make sure you are answering the question being asked
- Understand order of difficulty. Sections in the math test increase in difficulty as you progress.
- If you don’t know how to do a question, skip it.
Test strategies for the reading test:
- Simplify complicated sentences.
For the whole test:
- Don’t leave anything blank
- Use process of elimination
- Cover up the choices. Come up with the answer on your own before looking at the choices. This avoids getting distracted by answer choices that look good before you have the chance to figure it out.
- Pace yourself.
- Trust yourself. Don’t second guess your answers if you have time to review.
- Use any extra time wisely. Re-read passages if you have the time. You’ll be glad if you catch any mistakes.
EPISD is following all protocols to ensure the safety of students taking the test. Students will be asked to bring their materials for the test in two clear bags. One bag may be used for a water bottle and snack. The second bag will hold the student’s personal items. Students must bring a picture ID and pencils. Students may bring their own graphing calculator, but calculators will be available the day of the test. No backpacks will be allowed the day of the test.