El Paso ISD students to present artwork to colleges, universities during Sun City Portfolio Day
(EL PASO INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT – Jan. 12, 2023) – Visual arts students from El Paso ISD and other area school districts as well as El Paso Community College will have the opportunity to meet and present their art portfolios to 18 colleges and universities during the fourth annual Sun City Portfolio Day. The event is from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 26, at the El Paso Community College Administrative Services Center Building A, 9050 Viscount Blvd.
Sun City Portfolio Day, sponsored by EPCC, is a collaborative effort between the El Paso, Socorro and Ysleta school districts. It was created to promote artistic talent in the region and provide high school and EPCC students with opportunities to showcase their artwork to potential colleges and universities in one location without having to travel outside the city. Students can potentially be offered a scholarship from participating colleges and universities onsite.
Art schools from throughout the nation have been invited to guide students through their college-enrollment journey.
Sun City Portfolio Day is open to high school juniors and seniors and college students seeking college admittance.
To participate in the event, students must:
- Bring a portfolio with a minimum of six completed, quality artworks (for juniors) and eight (for seniors). A sketchbook may take the place of one work.
- Sketchbook should include reflections, planning pages and research.
- Come prepared with an idea of the fields they may wish to study.
- Be in good standing in the enrolled art course.
Participating colleges and universities include Academy of Art University, Carnegie Mellon School of Art, College for Creative Studies, El Paso Community College, Laguna College of Art and Design, Maryland Institute College of Art, Minneapolis College of Art and Design, New Mexico State University, Otis College of Art and Design, Rhode Island School of Design, School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Sul Ross State University, Texas Tech University, The University of Texas at Austin, the University of North Texas, the University of Texas at El Paso, the University of Texas at San Antonio School of Art, Virginia Commonwealth University School of the Arts.
For more information contact:
- El Paso ISD: Andrea Smith, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Socorro ISD: Candace Printz, email@example.com; Macka Jones, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ysleta ISD: Sam Garcia, email@example.com
- El Paso Community College: Sarelah Aguilar, firstname.lastname@example.org