Workshop to help parents make best out of teacher conferences
(EL PASO INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT -- Feb. 2, 2021) — Like most things nowadays, the upcoming parent-teacher conferences in EPISD will look and feel different this year because of the ongoing pandemic.
But don’t worry. A special workshop for parents is being offered Wednesday to help parents make the most of their virtual conference. The virtual presentation is at 5 p.m. Wednesday on Zoom.
During the presentation, Andress High parent liaison Melissa Stokes will offer a variety of tips on how to prepare, what to talk about and how to follow up. The virtual parent-teacher conferences, isn’t just a chance for parents to see grades. Parent Teacher Conferences are Feb. 9-11.
“Especially during COVID, it’s more important for parents to be involved as possible can be period,” Stokes said. “We want parents to know we are here for them more than ever. All of us are learning new technology that we didn’t use before even though it was there.”
The virtual conference is open to all EPISD parents.
Among the tips offered include:
- Check with your child to see if he/she has any specific concerns about the class.
- Write your thoughts so you don’t forget an area you want to discuss.
- Use EPISD Parent Portal to stay informed of your child’s grades prior to the conference.
- Prioritize the list of concerns or questions that you have for the teacher.
- Remember to take notes during the meeting.
What should you discuss with your child’s teacher:
- Progress. Is my child performing at grade level? What are his/her strengths? How could he/she improve?
- Ask to see examples of your child’s work. Ask how the teacher gives grades.
- Support learning at home. Ask what you can do at home to help your child.
- Support learning at school. Ask about services available at the school to help your child.
- Outside Issues. Share any issues that may be affecting your child’s learning such as divorce, illness, death, etc.
“These are all things can do to make the most of parent teacher conferences and ultimately help you get a better picture of what’s going on,” Stokes said. “It’s not just about getting that grade and that’s it. It’s so much more than that.”
The presentation will be available in English and Spanish. To participate, log in using the following zoom link: https://tinyurl.com/PT-Conferences-Parent-Workshop. Use meeting code 354 251 3589 and passcode 573767.
For more information on parent-teacher conferences, contact your child’s school. Parent-teacher conferences are scheduled for Feb. 9 in elementary school, Feb. 10 in high schools and Feb. 11 in middle schools.